Life changes. And more specifically, it gets more expensive. Yet sometimes it can take time for your employer to catch up. So how can you tackle the prickly question of asking for a raise? Barbara Corcoran gives some rather poignant insights on how to orchestrate this discussion. I think it makes for a great ESL discussion launch pad. Not to mention a more generalized reflection on gender differences in the work place.
- Have you ever asked for a raise?
- How did you approach it?
- Do you have any good or bad practices to share?
The Video: Barbara Corcoran Explains How to Ask for a Raise
- What are the steps you need to take to set up the meeting?
- What are some of the differences between men and women when asking for raises?
- If you are timid (and Corcoran says “woman,” but I think this applies to anyone who is timid) what should you do to overcome this?
- What are Corcoran’s recommendations on how to use an outside offer to initiate a positive discussion about compensation?
- What are her parting ideas about loyalty?
Have a great class!