TED features Joachim de Posada’s presentation of the famous “marshmallow” test done children. It is a test that claims to predict the success of those children through their ability to delay gratification.
I won’t go into great detail about the test because the video only last about 5 min. I will say this, although this test makes me feel a little uncomfortable, I think it makes an interesting discussion.
- Do you consider yourself a patient person?
- What things or events in your life have you had to wait for?
- What stories or anecdotes from your life show how you are patient or impatient?
The video: Don’t eat the marshmallow by Joachim de Posada TED
- How did the video of the children make you feel?
- How did the children act around the marshmallow?
- If it were you, would you have eaten it? Why?
- Why do you think it is important to be able to delay gratification?
- What do you think Posada means by “we are eating more marshmallows that we produce?”
- Do you agree?