Is it possible that we don’t have one true calling? That we have more than one talent? One gift? That is the question that Emilie Wapnick asks her TED audience. She is a self proclaimed “multipotentialite” which is to say, she has many potential careers and gifts.
I must say I got a little emotional watching this talk. I too am someone who is constantly looking for my one true thing only to feel disappointed in myself when I get interested in something new. It is a very freeing concept that my students loved to talk about…
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- If it changed, why did it change?
- Why is it ok for children to have many career paths, but adults must chose one?
Watch the video and gather some of the main themes and points.
Post Video Discussion
First do a Tell Back.
- Do you see yourself in Emilie’s concept of mulitipotentialite?
- What are the advantages of exploring all our interests?
- What are the multipotentialite’s “super powers”?
- How are those skills relevant in today’s job market?
Have a good discussion!