Success is a looming goal that can drive us, but also plague us. In Alain de Botton TED talk, he exposes his struggle with success and some of the elements that may shape our choices.
- How do you define success?
- Who do you know that you consider successful?
The Video: TED A Kinder, Gentler, Philosophy of Success by Alain de Botton
- Divide the presentation into 5 min segments and do a Tell Back
- First 5 min: What is snobbery according to Botton?
- 5-10 min: What is meritocracy? How might it be destructive?
- 10-15 min: What can literary tragedy teach us? Why does nature attract us?
- If you have time, I would suggest doing a Mind Map of the main elements that contribute to our notion of success. Perhaps group them according to those that are good and bad.