I love talking about the weather. It is the single most easy way to initiate a conversation with a stranger or acquaintance if you need to break the silence. Great for elevator rides, spontaneous waiting time and warm repartee.
This particular discussion lesson plan on the weather goes from general to scientific. The objective is to elicit some scientific vocabulary around a familiar topic. If you have no scientists among your students, you can always focus on the important of predicting the weather. And also the importance of being able to talk about the weather as a conversation starter.
- What are the different types of weather or climate you can name?
- What affects the weather?
- Do you use the weather forecast to plan activities?
The Video: The Science of Weather
- Divide the video into 2 or 3 segments and do a Tell Back of the main themes and words
- How do meteorologists sort through information, identify trends, and make predictions.
- Why do they often get it wrong?
- What is it important to predict the weather